Titanic facts are some of the most fascinating of all shipwrecks in maritime history. Perhaps it is because of the number of lives that were lost, or the fact that the entire tragedy could have been avoided, but there is no denying the mysterious allure this ill fated ocean liner still holds, even today.
SOME INTRESTING FACTS ON TITANIC
While the tragic sinking of the Titanic is still shocking and a bit unnerving, many of the Titanic facts are quite interesting.
- The ship was loaded with only enough lifeboats to hold half of the Titanic passengers. There were 20 of them with a total capacity of 1178 people.
- Some of the limited lifeboats were lowered to the waters only half-full.
- Further facts on the Titanic indicate that the ship received information earlier regarding the presence of ice floes in the vicinity, yet continued to speed full throttle ahead towards tragedy.
- Among the property reported as lost on the Titanic were over 3000 bags of mail and an automobile.
- Each first class passenger paid a whopping $4,350 for a parlor suite ticket and $150 for a berth ticket.
- The ship contained a heated swimming pool, a first for any sailing vessel.
- The ship was still so brand new when passengers boarded it on April 10, 1912 that the paint was still wet in some spots.
- Every stateroom contained electric lighting and heat.
- Of the 1523 people of perished in the sinking of the Titanic, only 306 bodies were recovered.
- The largest percentage of survivors came from first class passengers.
- Even though directions have been given for women and children to board the lifeboats first, a number of men were reported as survivors while a surprisingly large number of women and children perished in the disaster. Most of the women and children lost in the sinking came from second and third class.
- Sadly, Captain Smith had made plans to retire after seeing the Titanic safely across the Atlantic on her maiden voyage.
- It took three years to fully construct the ship.
- Among the provisions when the Titanic set sail in Southampton, England were 40,000 eggs, 75,000 pounds of fresh meat and 1,000 bottles of wine.
- The Titanic's total capacity was 3547 passengers + crew.
- The Titanic's weight fully loaded was 46,328 tons.
- The Titanic was 882 feet/268 meters long.
- There were 29 boilers on board of the ship.
- The ship consumed 825 tons of coal in one day.
- The top speed of the Titanic was 23 knots.